To take a fishing charter trip with True Blue WNY Fishing Charters, you’ll need to obtain a New York State fishing license and bring it along with you.
You can buy your NYS fishing license online so that you’ll have it ready for your fishing charter. Your NYS fishing license must be printed immediately upon completion of the sale. You will NOT receive anything in the mail. This will serve as your legal license document and must be brought with you on the fishing charter. You will need a valid driver’s license in order to purchase a NYS fishing license online. The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation only accepts Visa and MasterCard for online payment of your license.
The cost for one ranges from a $5 NYS resident fee for a 1-day license all the way up to a $70 non-resident fee for a 1-year license.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please call the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation at 1-866-933-2257. Offices are open Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM EST.
Who Needs a Fishing License in New York State?
You DO need a fishing license to fish in New York State if you are 16 years and older and:
1. Fishing for freshwater fish by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow or tip-ups
2. Freshwater bait fishing for personal use
3. Fishing for frog species by spearing, hand catching, or by the use of a hook or club
You DO NOT need a fishing license if you are:
1. Under 16 years of age
2. Fishing on a licensed fishing preserve
3. Fishing during one of New York State’s “Free Fishing Weekends”
4. A farm fish pond license holder, or member of a license holder’s immediate family, fishing on waters covered by the license
5. A Native American living and fishing on reservation land
6. A patient residing at a qualifying US Veterans Administration hospital in New York State
You may qualify for a free or reduced fee annual fishing license if you are:
1. Active duty military
2. Military veteran with 40% of greater disability
3. Senior citizen (70 years or older)
4. Legally blind
5. A non-resident student attending a New York State college or university full-time
*In most instances, you must be a New York State resident to quality for a free or reduced fee annual fishing license. For information on required documents and qualifications, please see the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website.